Assaulted While at a Friend's House...

by Nestor
(San Francisco, CA)

I was staying at a friend's house and I was assaulted by certain individuals that were let in by a mutual friend.

I ended up with bodily injuries and was taken to the emergency room. What are my rights against the homeowner? Is there any action I should be taking against the parties involved? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Assaulted While at a Friend's House...":

Nestor (San Francisco, CA):

You do have a claim against the homeowner. Homeowner's insurance normally covers such events. Hopefully you filed a police report at or about the time the assault occurred. The existence of a police report is one of the best ways to document an assault.

Such documentation will be very helpful in your personal injury claim against the persons who assaulted you. More importantly will be the documentation of your injuries. Without proof of injuries it will be quite difficult to have the insurance company compensate you for those injuries.

Regrettably compensation for injuries requires “damages”. Damages normally include medical bills, also known as “Hard Costs”. Damages may also include your out of pocket expenses for such things as prescriptions and over the counter aids necessary for your injury. Damages can also include lost wages and pain and suffering.

If you don't have any Hard Costs you can attempt to negotiate a settlement for just your pain and suffering. Doing so will be a stretch, but you can try.

Get the name of the homeowners insurance company. Contact them to file a claim. The insurance company will set up a claim, and you will be contacted by an insurance company Claims Adjuster. She will be the person with whom you will negotiate your claim.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Homeowners Insurance Claim Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: