At Fault Driver Left the Country...

by Kenny

I was involved in a car accident. I had no auto insurance and neither did the other driver. The police came and did a report at the scene. They determined it was the other driver's fault. The other driver is an international student and is now believed to be gone out of the country.

The damages cost a lot, exceeding the market value of the car. I asked the other driver's friend where he was. His friend said he did in fact leave for his home county and he's not sure if he's coming back.

What if he's not coming back? What should I do about the damages? I did call the police to let them know, but I don't know if they can do anything. Would they really be able to find him in his country? Any info you could give would be great. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "At Fault Driver Left the Country...":

Kenny (LA):

Regrettably, you may be out of luck. The other driver didn’t commit any crime. The police certainly won’t go after him, nor will they investigate his whereabouts. Without insurance there is really nothing you can do.

The good news is the police didn’t cite you for not having auto insurance. All vehicles in the State of California have to be insured. In California if you are cited by the police for no insurance your license can be suspended for 4 years.

The good news is you may be able to get it back in a year if you are able to submit proof of insurance to the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

The bad news is you must be able to verify your insurance for the next 3 years. If not, your license will be suspended again.

If you weren’t cited by the police for no insurance there is always a chance you may receive the citation in the mail. Let’s hope for your sake that doesn’t happen.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Uninsured Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: