Attacked by 2 Akitas When I Was 7 Years Old...

by Amanda

When I was 7 years old I was attacked by the next door neighbor's two akitas. I was rushed to the hospital for several bad lacerations and had a bunch of stitches. I never knew what happened with the personal injury case and I still have the scars. Sometimes I even have scary dreams about the dogs.

It has been so long since the attack and nobody ever told me if anything was done. I was wondering, since it has been so long, if there is anything I still can do about it now that I'm 18 years old? How can I find out what was done legally (any lawsuit or settlement) back at the time of the attack? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Attacked by 2 Akitas When I Was 7 Years Old...":

Amanda (Ohio):

The fastest way to find out what happened after you were bitten is the most obvious. Contact the person or persons who took you to the hospital. We can presume they were one or both of your parents. If someone else drove you to the emergency room you can also contact them.

Even if a third party took you to the hospital one or both of your parents must have learned about the attack. Ask them about any litigation which they may have pursued on you behalf.

In the event you aren't able to contact your parents or the third party who drove you to the hospital, you can always go to the courthouse located in the county where the attack occurred. There you can go to the records department and look up your name. If suit was filed you'll be able to see the papers filed on your behalf. The lawsuit may also indicate if a guardian ad litem was appointed by the court to protect your best interests.

Finally, among the papers in the lawsuit should be a final Court Order indicating the final outcome of the case. That order will indicate what, if any amount of money was awarded to you. From there your parents or the guardian ad litem should be able to tell you where the money was invested for you.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Child Dog Attack Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: