Attacked by Club Owner and Bouncer...

by Roque
(Sacramento, CA)

I was chased down by a night club owner and bouncer and was punched and kicked outside of the club property (on 11-05-11). I then got arrested for being drunk in public and the owner and bouncer got off scot free for their assault.

I feel like I was doing the right thing by running from them and trying to get off of their property. I have injuries and hospital bills. Is there anything I can do about this?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Attacked by Club Owner and Bouncer...":

Roque: (Sacramento):

You certainly have a legal right to pursue the owner of the bar for the injuries you suffered and the resulting medical bills. In that claim you can also ask for additional amounts for your out of pocket expenses, such as prescription medications and over the counter aids as well. If you missed work you can also ask the owner to compensate you for your lost wages.

Asking is one thing. Getting the owner to agree is another.

You can either file a small claims lawsuit against the owner or seek the advice of a personal injury attorney. Most personal injury attorneys will not charge you for an initial office consultation. Once you visit with several personal injury lawyers you will have a better idea of your rights and the bar owner's obligations.

In California the maximum, or "jurisdictional" amount a person can sue for in small claims court is $7,500 dollars. If your medical bills and your additional costs are within that range you can consider a claim in small claims court.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Bar & Club Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: