Bicycle Accident...

by Patty
(Hacienda Heights, CA)

My dad went for a bike ride. He was on the sidewalk riding then moved onto the grass for a passer by. When he did this his front tire dropped into a hole covered with grass. This caused him to flip over and now he has bumps and bruises on his face and legs.

He called & made a report with the California Highway Patrol. He was told there was nothing they can do. Is the county responsible?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Bicycle Accident...":

Patty (Hacienda Heights, CA):

The question is what do you want them to be responsible for? If he merely suffered bumps and bruises and required no medical attention there is not much the County can be responsible for.

In the unfortunate event your father suffered more serious injuries he would have to go through an administrative process. He would have to file what is called a “Tort Claim”. In the State of California the time limit for the filing of a Tort Claim is no more than 90 days from the date of the injury.

If that amount of time hasn’t expired and your father did suffered injuries, he should be sure to contact the county and ask them to send him a Tort Claim’s Form. Make sure any of his medical Narratives including, but not limited to, his doctor’s Narratives, Diagnosis and Prognosis accompany the filing of his claim.

If you or your father have any questions about the process you can always consider consulting with a Personal Injury Attorney. It’s not necessary to be represented by one, but you have nothing to lose by getting a consultation.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Bicycle Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: