Birth Injury Due to MD Refusing a C-section...

by Emily
(Oak Lawn, IL, U.S.A.)

When I was born, the nerves and muscles in my right shoulder were severed resulting in Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy. The injury could have been prevented by a C-Section but the delivering doctor (who wasn't my mother's primary doctor) refused to perform one.

My parents never filed suit on my behalf, and this injury has affected every day of my life. I am now 20 years old and was just given all of the medical bills that my parents kept from the first four years of my life. I was wondering if I still had a suit or if the statute of limitations was up? Is there anything I can do about my situation? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Birth Injury Due to MD Refusing
a C -section...":

Emily (Oak Lawn, IL, U.S.A):

Unfortunately the Statute of Limitations in the State of Illinois is two years.

There is a chance if you only recently discovered the complexity of the issues, as well as the medical records, you can possibly file suit. That would have to be done within two years from the date of your 18th birthday. For many civil matters the 18th birthday of an individual becomes the date the Statue of Limitations may begin to run.

Contact several personal injury attorneys. You want to find those who have substantial experience in medical malpractice cases. Most will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation.

At the time of your visit be sure to have with you all the medical records and other information in any way related to your injuries. That will afford the attorneys easy access to the material. Doing so will enable them to give you a clearer picture of your rights and chances of recovery.

If one of the attorneys decides to accept your case you will not have to pay any legal fees until and unless the attorney either wins your case at trial or settles out of court.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Birth Injury Lawsuit Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: