Bitten By My Father's Cat...

by Regina

My Dad's cat bit me while I was bathing him. My hand is numb and bruised at the site where the cat punctured it and wouldn't let go. I basically had a thirty pound Siamese cat hanging from the side of my right hand.

I went to the Urgent Care clinic under my health insurance the same night. They gave me a TDP shot, soaked the wound in Bedidine and prescribed 875mg of Augmenten twice a day for 10 days. Thirty six hours later, my hand is still numb and very sore with its own pulse when I hold it below my heart.

I don't want to sue my dad, but would like to know about filing a claim against his homeowners insurance policy, if possible. What are my options? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Bitten By My Father's Cat...":

Regina (California):

You probably won't have to sue your dad. Instead you can file a claim with his homeowners insurance company. Simply compile copies all your medical bills. Once you have those in hand ask your father for the name of his homeowners insurance company, the policy number and telephone number as well.

Call the insurance company and file a claim. Once you do you will soon thereafter be contacted by a claims representative. She will undoubtedly want to take your recorded telephonic statement. That is perfectly normal. Just cooperate and tell the truth.

The claims adjuster's job is to investigate a claim, and once investigated to decided whether to accept liability on behalf of her insured, your father.

If the adjuster decides to accept liability on behalf of your father she will then discuss with you the injuries you suffered and the cost of treatment and recovery you may need. From there you can negotiate a settlement.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Animal Attack Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: