Boy Fell into a Broken Sewer Grate...

by Anonymous

My son was crossing the street going to the store. He stepped onto a sewer grate that was broken and one leg fell into it. My son fell into the sewer all the way up to his groin and got two 5-6 inch cuts on his thigh. He had to go to the doctor to get the cuts treated.

Is the city liable for his injuries? How do I get them to pay his medical bills? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Boy Fell into a Broken Sewer Grate...":

Anonymous (USA):

From the facts you present it would appear the city is certainly liable for your son's injuries and the resulting medical bills and related damages. First and foremost it is imperative your son's injuries be treated before considering a claim against the city. Once you are confident his injuries are being properly treated you can begin the process of filing a claim against the city.

Each city is different and has its own methods of filing a claim against it. Your facts don't mention in which city your son was injured. That's OK. Most cities have a relatively similar course of action for injured parties to file a personal injury claim.

Filing a claim against a city is usually called a "Tort Claim". Contact the city's legal department. If they don't have one, contact the city manager's office. Tell them you want to file a Tort Claim on behalf of your son and ask them to send you the proper Tort Claim form.

Once you receive the form complete it and send it back to them. Beware! There is normally a time period in which you have to file a Tort Claim. Make sure you don't miss that deadline.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Public Property Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: