Broke Femur Playing Football While Incarcerated...

by April
(Plainfield, Illinois)

My son was playing football in the yard at the prison he was being held in. While running, his leg fell in a hole and he felt his leg pop. He wound up having surgery while in prison, and doctors had to put a rod from his hip down to his knee. They also had to put bolts in his knee.

My son is 26 yrs old and this injury will forever cause him pain. My question is, does my son have a personal injury case against the prison for not maintaining the yard and/or allowing the game to be played in an unsafe area?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Broke Femur Playing Football While Incarcerated...":

April (Plainfield, Illinois):

The State of Illinois has 27 prisons. They are all State owned and operated. Filing a personal injury claim against a state entity is much different than filing a personal injury claim against an individual or private company.

In the State of Illinois your son would have to file a Tort Claim. He can do that by contacting the State of Illinois Attorney General's Office. He needs to tell them he wants them to send him a Tort Claim Form.

In the State of Illinois your son has 90 days from the date of his injury to file a Personal Injury Tort Claim.

Once filed the case becomes similar to a private personal injury lawsuit. Your son should be contacted by an insurance company Claims Adjuster and the case will progress from there.

The Adjuster will investigate the underlying facts of the injury. A determination of liability will be made. Your son will submit all his medical bills, or "Hard Costs". If the insurance company's claims adjuster believes the State of Illinois is liable for your son's injuries she will attempt to settle the case with your son.

If they don't accept liability your son can proceed to trial.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Comments for Broke Femur Playing Football While Incarcerated...

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

So he played football while in PRISON and broke his leg? And y'all want money for that?

How about restitution for his crime? Don't agree that any prisoner should be "playing" in prison AT ALL. Work, no play.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Jail Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: