Broken Eye Socket From Getting Punched in the Face...

by Anonymous

My son was at a Halloween party speaking with other guests. An older man came up and punched him in the face without provocation, breaking his nose and orbital socket. He now has to have surgery to repair the broken bones. My son did not in any way antagonize or retaliate the other person.

Can he file a personal injury lawsuit against this person for his medical expenses and lost income? Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Broken Eye Socket From Getting Punched in the Face...":

Anonymous (USA):

Your son can certainly file a personal injury lawsuit against the man who assaulted him. If your son was a minor at the time of the attack you can file on his behalf.

Hopefully, at or about the time of the attack someone called the police. If there were witnesses to the assault their names may be in the police report. Additionally, if the police were called the man should have been arrested.

If for any reason the police weren’t called to the scene, it's not too late to file a police report. Go to the local police station and file a criminal complaint. If you and your son can bring witnesses to the police station there is still a good chance a warrant for the man’s arrest may issue.

Make sure you retain all your son’s medical records. They will be of great use in a personal injury lawsuit.

The only drawback may be the liquidity of the man. If he has some liquid and substantial assets it may well be worth retaining a personal injury attorney. If he doesn’t, all you may end up with after a lawsuit will be a paper judgment.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Assault & Battery Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: