Broken Fibula from Fall...

by Frank
(Sparta, TN)

I fell off a three foot landing (porch) while feeding dogs for the owner of a property. She has seventeen dogs. I was living there for about two months.

As a result of the fall I broke my fibula bone, needed surgery and had a plate inserted. I was not getting paid. The insurance company said they will pay only one thousand dollars. The hospital and surgery will cost much more. Should I get a lawyer?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Broken Fibula from Fall...":

Frank (Sparta, TN):

Yes. It would be a very good idea to seek the advice and counsel of a local personal injury attorney. From the facts you present it appears you have a legitimate case. Most homeowners carry liability insurance. That insurance is purchased by a homeowner to cover just the type of injuries you suffered.

You do not have to "sue" the homeowner. The entire matter can be dealt with professionally and amicably. Simply contact the homeowner and ask her for the name, telephone number and policy number of her homeowners insurance company.

If the homeowner hesitates to give you the necessary insurance information you can tell her your only option will be to seek the advice of a personal injury attorney.

Hopefully the homeowner will cooperate. If she doesn't, your only alternative may be to actually consult with a personal injury attorney. Most will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation. Then if the attorney accepts your case you won't have to pay her until, and unless she either negotiates a settlement or wins your case against the insurance company at trial.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Homeowners Insurance Claim Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: