Broken Jaw From Assault in a Bar...

by Anonymous

My son was assaulted in a bar. The guy that hit him was drunk and broke my son's jaw. My son was not drinking at the time nor did my son even touch the guy after he was hit. Now my son has to have major surgery Friday to repair this injury to his jaw.

I want to know what the drunk guy will be charged with and what does he have to pay for? Is the bar responsible for any of this?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Broken Jaw From Assault in a Bar...":

Anonymous (USA):

Hopefully the police were called and the man was arrested. He should be charged with assault. There are many classifications of assault, and each state has a variation on each type.

From the facts you present the assault sounds like a misdemeanor. If the attacker used a beer bottle, or beer mug, or some other instrument of brutality he would more likely have been charged with felony assault.

Either way the attacker is liable for your son’s injuries and the resultant medical bills. He may also be responsible for his out of pocket expenses such as prescription and over the counter medications, his lost wages during the recovery time, and an additional amount for his pain and suffering.

The bar may also be liable as well. There are laws commonly referred to as “Dramshop” laws. They hold places which serve alcohol to a higher standard of protection of its patrons than establsihments which do not.

Although some criminal cases don’t require the assistance of a personal injury attorney, this is a case which seems to cry out for one. Most personal injury attorneys do not charge for initial office consultations. Speaking with several of them will help you make the correct decision.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Bar Fight Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: