Burn scar on back?

by Joseph
(Trenton, NJ)

In June I had a catheter ablation done. After the procedure was done I noticed that I had some type of abrasion the upper right side of my back. When I showed the abrasion to the doctor who did the ablation he told me that it was a burn and it probably came from being shocked back into sinus rhythm after the procedure was completed.

He told me it would heel and that it should not have happened. It still itches and is sometimes painful. It also is a very unsightly scar where the burn healed. Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Burn scar on back?":

Joseph (Trenton, NJ:

The admission from your doctor that the burn “should not have happened” is very strong evidence against him. The next question relates to the extent of your injury. If the scar will be permanent, you have the basis of a substantial personal injury/medical malpractice claim against the doctor and the hospital where the procedure occurred.

If the scar is transient and will heal within a reasonably short time, your claim is not as strong. There is no doubt that you have the basis of an injury claim. The question though, is how much the claim is worth, and the extent you want to go to prosecute your claim.

If the scar is transient you may be able to handle the claim on your own, and without the advice and counsel of a personal injury attorney. In the alternative, if the scar is permanent, you really should seek legal representation from an experienced malpractice attorney. Either way, meet with several attorneys to get their perspective. Most offer a free initial consultation.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Physician Malpractice Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: