Burned by Coffee at Fast Food Drive Through Window...

by Sandra
(Pearland, Texas)

I was at the drive through window of a fast food restaurant yesterday morning (11-06-11) and an employee dropped a 20 oz cup of hot coffee all over my side, burning my arm and leg, and also spilling it all inside my car.

The employee acted like he didn't care and apologized and walked away. I spoke to the General Manager this morning and he said he would call me back, as of right now I have not received a call. What are my rights as a victim? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Burned by Coffee at Fast Food Drive Through Window...":

Sandra (Pearland, Texas):

Unless you suffered injuries which required medical attention and that medical attention resulted in medical bills, you really don’t have a claim for financial compensation.

Contact your doctor. Be sure the burns will not result in scarring. If there may be scarring you may be entitled to compensation for plastic surgery and possible pain and suffering. Before contacting the restaurant you want to be sure you know what your injuries are and what the medical costs to treat those injuries will be.

With that knowledge you will be able to make a prudent decision whether to pursue legal action or not.

With that said, you can pursue a complaint against the employee. You might consider filing a written complaint with the restaurant’s corporate headquarters, but beyond that you should really consider either leaving the matter behind and moving on, or if the injuries are serious, then contacting a personal injury attorney to assist you in pursuing fair compensation for your injuries.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Restaurant Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: