Burned While Working in a Restaurant...

by Michelle
(Scotia, NY USA)

I work for a national restaurant chain. I had to heat something in the microwave and someone already had grits in there. They had filled the bowl too high and when I pulled them out I got burned on my arm and fingers. There was no cover on the grits bowl to prevent this from happening.

I went to an urgent care place right away and had 2nd degree burns. Now I developed a staph infection from the burns and am out of work once again. Can I sue for being burned in this way at work?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Burned While Working in a Restaurant...":

Michelle (Scotia, NY USA):

Well, hopefully you won’t have to sue. Under the facts you present you should be entitled to compensation for your injuries and the wages you may lose while undergoing treatment. Be sure to document your injuries. Be sure to see your own personal physician. Burning can often lead to scarring. You don’t want to overlook that possibility.

What happened to you is serious. We suggest you do not sign any type of settlement agreement, or sign any documents until such time as you have had time to think about the entire incident. Once you sign a Release you may lose all your rights to receive compensation.

There are times when a person can stand up for themselves and represent their own interests. Then there are times when seeking the advice and counsel of a Personal Injury Attorney is the better decision.

Under these circumstances it wouldn’t hurt to consult with a Personal Injury Attorney. Most will not charge you for an initial office consultation. It is better to know your legal rights before deciding on your course of action.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Comments for Burned While Working in a Restaurant...

Click here to add your own comments

Burned by baked beans...
by: Anonymous

I ate at a restaurant and was served my food. When I was reaching for the barbeque my drink turned over and a bowl of baked beans spilled onto my legs.

I went to the doctor the next day and I had 2nd degree burns. The beans were so hot that they burned me though my pants. The pain is still there and I was wondering if I should sue for my pain and suffering.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Burned at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: