Can I appeal a groundless termination in Alabama?

by Teresa
(Enterprise, AL)

I was terminated from my job in Alabama, not by my manager but by an HR rep from corporate, after a customer complaint. The HR rep never contacted me or viewed video tapes to see if what the customer said was even vaguely true. The facts that he put into my termination letter would be proven false if he viewed the video or spoke with customer witnesses.

I think the termination was groundless, since the video proves I was not in the wrong. When I contacted the HR rep he said there is no such thing as an appeal, and he was very rude. Is that true, there's no such thing as an appeal? Is this a wrongful termination? Is there anything I can do about this? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Can I appeal a groundless termination in Alabama?":

Teresa (Enterprise, AL):

The HR representative is likely not required to view the video tape, but it would only seem logical he would have.

Whether or not there is an appeals process depends on your company. Because your company has a Human Resources representative, it's a fair assumption your company is a relatively large one with many employees.

In most cases, where there is an HR department there is also a written employee manual. The guide normally states the grounds for an employee’s dismissal. Moreover, when there is an HR department there is normally an appeals process.

Read your employee guide or manual. If there is an appeals process, then follow through with the process. If there is not, then your termination may in fact be permanent and non-appealable.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Wrongful Termination Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: