Can I file a claim on my Dad's policy?

by Chris

I was involved in a hit and run and was injured. I was crossing the street as a pedestrian and a car hit me, then took off. I pay for my dad's car insurance with state farm, and he has full coverage. I was wondering, could my dad file a claim and get a settlement for me under the uninsured motorist portion?

We don't live at the same address. I do have medical bills from that day and it's a 5 month recovery. Any information you can give about my ability to file a claim on my dad's insurance (which I pay) would be great. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Can I file a claim on my Dad's policy?":

Chris (Illinois):

First: Unless you are listed as an insured on your dad's uninsured motorist policy, or your dad has separate medical insurance covering you, you won't be covered.

Second: The State of Illinois does not require drivers to carry personal injury protection insurance (PIP). If though, your dad had PIP and you were listed as an insured, you can file a claim under his PIP insurance.

Third: Homeowners insurance sometimes covers injuries not occurring at the home. Check to see if you are listed as an insured on your dad's homeowners policy.

Fourth: The State of Illinois has a Victims Compensation Program which pays victims of violent crimes for any injuries sustained at the hands of a criminal. To see if you qualify, contact the State of Illinois Attorney Generals Office.

Barring coverage under the above four scenarios, you may have to carry the burden of the medical bills and the extended treatment and recovery period on your own.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Hit and Run Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: