Can I Sue for Assault and Robbery?

by Krishan
(Newark, NJ)

I live in New Jersey. Last month I was robbed and assaulted by some teenagers at gun point. During the robbery they broke my jaw and I ended up in the mental health ward of local hospital. What are my legal options in this case? Can I sue the juveniles who assaulted and robbed me?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Can I Sue for Assault and Robbery?":

Krishan (Newark, NJ):

Unless there are some facts you have not shared with us there is no reason you should have been taken to the Mental Health Ward of your local hospital. If you were assaulted by a criminal element the police should have been called in immediately.

The only possible scenario we can surmise is the following:

You were being “mugged” and someone called the police. When they arrived you may have been very upset. You may have been intoxicated, or you may have failed to follow the orders of the police.

The police would only have taken you to the hospital if they had reason to believe you posed an imminent threat to yourself or others.

They also may have had a Mental Health Warrant which could have been issued prior to the assault.

Without more facts we can only rely on other scenarios where people have been taken to the mental health ward of a local hospital at or about the time of a confrontation with the police.

But other than that, depending on the specific circumstances, it is possible to file a personal injury lawsuit against the perpetrator(s) of an assault, provided you have real damages. Whether you will be able to recover any compensation from a criminal without insurance is another problem entirely.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Crime Victim Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: