Can I Sue for Personal Injuries After Getting Punched in the Face?

by Paul
(Yellowknife, Canada)

I was punched in the face and had to be airlifted to Edmonton for surgery. I received a metal plate for a fractured skull. I now have constant pain and numbness.

The person who did this got out on probation. This person also has no money or very little. Do I have any options for getting compensation for this injury that may make me lose sight in one eye?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Can I Sue for Personal Injuries After Getting Punched in the Face?":


You certainly suffered a serious injury and have a legal right to sue the person for a substantial amount. Regrettably, all you will ultimately end up with is a paper judgment against him.

There is though a bright side to this whole affair. Filing and winning a lawsuit against him should be relatively easy. Even if he decides to fight it he will probably lose. Once you win the lawsuit you can record the judgment with the local Records Bureau.

Most judgments include a provision for the accrual of annual interest at the prevailing rate. As the years go by there is a possibility this fellow may eventually decide to buy a home, or a car, or something where a loan will be necessary. Each time he does the judgment will appear and when it does it will usually be a bar to receiving the credit he is seeking.

There also remains a possibility this fellow will come into some money in the future. If he does the judgment you initially took against him may have doubled or tripled in value, and when it does you will have a legal right to levy on his assets in the full amount of the judgment and all accrued interest.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Assault & Battery Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: