Can I Sue My Employer for Unfair Treatment?

by Ryan
(Joliet, IL, US)

I slipped and fell while working at a chain restaurant as I was going into the back. There was no wet floor sign so I had no idea that someone had mopped back there.

I twisted my leg all the way back and then was able to get up. I let the manager know I had fallen. He asked me if I was okay and I responded "it hurts but I guess I can keep working." The pain began to increase so I asked him if I could take my break. He said "I tell you when to take your break" and made me stand for another hour.

Would it be okay to sue my employer? I feel like I was unfairly treated. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Can I Sue My Employer for Unfair Treatment?":

Ryan (Joliet, IL, US):

It would be nice if there was a legal way to make people answer for their rudeness. Regrettably, that’s not the way it works. Go to your local clinic, emergency room, or doctor. Check to be sure your leg is alright. The doctor may want to run some tests, possibly an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) test.

There is no reason you should take a chance with a leg injury. The remote possibility of spine fractures is always present. If you don’t want to go see a medical doctor you might consider seeing a Chiropractor.

Whatever you do, don’t ignore the possibility of permanent injury. It’s not worth it. If you incur any medical, chirporactic, or out of pocket expenses like medicines, bandages etc, take them to your employer and ask him to reimburse you.

If he doesn’t you can always consider suing him in Small Claims Court. But before you do though, give it a lot of thought. Once you start the legal process it will be hard to turn back.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Suing an Employer Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: