Can I sue my son's school for negligence?

by Christina
(Sun Valley, CA)

Yesterday my son was involved in an altercation at school with an 8th grade boy who is my son's same age. My son ended up having a minor concussion due to this incident. There was no real adult supervision when the incident occurred.

All 3 staff members from school say different things and no one really seems to know what happened. Due to the concussion my son sustained he doesn't fully remember the whole incident in detail.

What can I do? Can I sue my son's school for negligence?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Can I sue my son's school for negligence?":

Christina (Sun Valley, CA):

You can sue the school but there is no guarantee you will prevail. From the facts you present your son seems to have been involved in a schoolyard brawl.

Not too many years ago your son would have been checked out at the hospital and returned to school, maybe to pay the boy back with a couple of roundhouses. But in this litigious age in which we live, when a couple of boys get into a scrape the parents think about lawsuits.

Unfortunately there is no medical term for a "minor" concussion. A concussion is either a concussion or not. A concussion occurs when the brain is jolted so hard against the inside of the cranium so as to have caused unconsciousness.

Unless your son suffered unconsciousness you may be misidentifying his injury. You should have him checked out by a doctor. In order to pursue a claim against the school or the other boy's parents you'll need medical documentation verifying your son's injuries.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to School Fight Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: