Can I take my father's legal rights away for his abuse?

by Maya

My father has been emotionally and even sometimes physically abusive towards me since I can remember. I am only 15 years old. My mother is letting me live with a family friend in another state (in a new school) for a semester, but my father is holding me back because of the legal control he has over me.

I would like to know if I could sue him for emotional distress and take his parental rights away? What else can I do to get out of living with him? Thank you for any information you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Can I take my father's legal rights away for his abuse?":

Maya (Florida):

Because of your age you will not be able to personally undertake legal action against your father. To do so will require legal representation by an experienced attorney.

To succeed in terminating your father’s parental rights will require proof that your father’s actions or inaction threatens the life, safety, well-being, or physical, mental, or emotional health of the child (you).

Under Florida Statutes Title V Chapter 39 39.806 1 (c), "Grounds for Termination of Parental Rights," parental rights of a parent may be terminated when it is proved...

"... the parent or parents engaged in conduct toward the child (you) or toward other children that demonstrates that the continuing involvement of the parent or parents in the parent-child relationship threatens the life, safety, well-being, or physical, mental, or emotional health of the child."

While you are still a minor, you can contact Florida’s Legal Aid Society and ask them to look into the facts of your claim. If Florida Legal Services accepts your case, they may may ask the court to appoint a Guardian Ad Litem to protect your interests and to take action to pursue your request for termination of parental rights.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Child Abuse Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: