Cannot talk or sing after a facelift...

by Marilyn
(Worcester, MA)

I was under general anesthesia for an hour when the anesthesiologist did not like the flow of oxygen. I was re-intubated with a metal tube, which caused scarring on my larynx. A month post operation and my voice is hoarse, making communication difficult. I don't know if this will be permanent.

Do I have a malpractice case or can I obtain some compensation if my voice stays like this? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Cannot talk or sing after a facelift...":

Marilyn (Worcester, MA):

You may have the basis of a medical malpractice claim.

Medical malpractice is defined as professional negligence by act or omission by a healthcare provider in which the treatment provided falls below the accepted standard of practice in the medical community and causes injury or death to the patient, with most cases involving medical error.

While on their face, the facts you present seem to indicate malpractice occurred, it will be necessary to prove the anesthesiologist's actions or omissions fell below the accepted standard of practice in the medical community and caused your injury.

While you were injured, the question remains whether or not the anesthesiologist’s actions or omissions would have occurred even if another anesthesiologist performed the procedure. If your injury was a foreseeable one, you may not have a malpractice claim.

Gather your medical records and consult with several med mal attorneys in your area. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. After reviewing your records, the attorney may consult with one or more medical expert anesthesiologists. If these experts believe medical malpractice occurred, you will likely then proceed with a lawsuit.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Surgical Malpractice Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: