Car Accident Rear End Collision...

by Donna

I was in a car accident rear-end collision. I was completely stopped at a red light and another driver hit me. They were cited for careless driving. I received injuries to my neck and lower back, involving bulging & herniated discs to both areas. I've been to the chiropractor and pain clinics but it's not helping. I've also been told I require surgery.

I'm wondering how long I have to start a vehicle accident claim and what I should do to start? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Car Accident Rear End Collision...":


In the case of a vehicular collision Florida law requires a case to be settled or a lawsuit filed within 2 years of the date of the collision. So theoretically you can "start" your case anytime within the 2 year period.

Hopefully you still have the at-fault party’s insurance information. Call her insurance company and tell them you were involved in a vehicular collision with their insured. They will take your information and depending upon their company’s procedure will put you in touch with a Claims Adjuster. Make sure you get a Claim Number.

The Adjuster will ask you for a recorded statement. Without embellishing any of the facts answer the Adjuster’s questions truthfully. Failing to do so may come back to haunt you later on.

You have just started your claim. Remember, if your case is not settled within 2 years from the date of the collision you MUST file a lawsuit. If you do not comply with the 2 year deadline, referred to as the Statute of Limitations, you will lose your right to recover any amounts from the at-fault driver or her insurance company.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Car Accident Back Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: