Car Accident with No Immediate Pain...

by Juliana

I was at a complete stop and got rear ended. I felt fine right after the accident and me and the person who hit me didn't exchange information. But as time progressed my neck and back were in severe pain. I did get the girl's license plate number.

Can I still get an injury settlement if no cops were called to the scene? What should I do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Car Accident with No Immediate Pain...":

Juliana (Washington):

As long as it has not been more than 2 years since the date of the collision you still have a legal right to pursue your claim for injuries.

If you have the license plate number you can track down the owner of the vehicle. Once you find her explain you are just now suffering the effects of the collision. Ask her to give you her insurance information.

In all reality she will probably not cooperate, especially since it has been some time since the collision, and at the time of the collision you did not indicate you suffered any injuries.

If she does not cooperate you have the option of contacting an attorney. If the attorney decides to accept your case she can make a formal demand to secure the insurance information and if the owner, driver, or both, do not cooperate the attorney has the option of filing suit.

Before you take any action you might want to contact an experienced personal injury attorney. Most will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation. At a minimum you will at least have some clarity about your rights and the expectation of success in your claim.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Rear-end Collision Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: