Child Has Permanent Scar from Fall at Daycare...

by Rosemary

My daughter was at daycare and she fell and busted her nose. The daycare notified me by phone and I also signed an accident report. Now my daughter's nose has a scar.

She has been to the doctor who referred us to the dermatologist. The dermatologist said the scar is a direct result of the fall and will have to be surgically removed. I have pictures of her nose the same day it happened. It was REALLY BAD.

Can I sue the daycare? How much time do I have? What is the first step I should take? Thank you for your time.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Child Has Permanent Scar from Fall at Daycare...":

Rosemary (USA):

Taking your daughter to the correct doctors was very important. If you are gong to pursue a claim against the daycare center you will need to consider removing your daughter from their care.

It will be difficult to claim the daycare center was negligent and at the same time leave your daughter in their care. The day care center's representatives will want to know why you would leave your daughter in the same place you are alleging injured your child was injured.

Be sure to document your contact with the daycare center. Ask them for a copy of the Accident Report. They don’t have to give it to you at this juncture of the claim, but do your best to retrieve it.

Ask the doctors for written diagnoses and prognoses of your daughters injury. Those written documents will be very important in the pursuit of your claim.

There are some cases which don’t necessarily need the assistance of legal counsel. And there are some which do.

Because of the possibility of scarring, especially on your daughter’s face, we suggest you seek the advice of a local Personal Injury Attorney. Most will not charge or an initial office consultation.

Seeking legal counsel will apprise you of your rights, and the obligations of the daycare center. You will learn if you have a good case, and if so what it will take to pursue it successfully.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Daycare Liability Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: