Child Injured on the Job...

by Anonymous

My son is 13 years of age. He was at work and was on the back of a moving truck with a trailer hooked onto it. He fell between the truck and trailer and was then run over by the trailer.

My son received several injuries from the accident. His right knee was cut and he had over ten stitches. They did not call the ambulance and instead they drove him to the hospital (after notifying me that my son had been injured very bad while riding on the back of the truck).

I think this accident happened because my son was unsupervised while in the care of his employer. Is there anything I can do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Child Injured on the Job...":

Anonymous (USA):

You not only don't have any legal recourse, but if the State Child Protective Services learns about your permitting your 13 year old son to work on or about a moving truck or trailer, you may find yourself in a courtroom on the other end of a child custody case (with the State attempting to take your child away from you on a temporary or permanent basis).

Thirteen year old boys should not be working on moving trucks or moving trailers. They can be seriously hurt or worse. The moving company may also have legal action taken against them for allowing a 13 year old to work for them, but that case will be independent of you.

Your best course of action will be to take care of your son's medical and personal needs. You really do not have any legal recourse against the moving company, or the entity for which he worked. If you want to ask them to pay your son's medical bills and they voluntarily agree to pay, then go ahead and accept their money.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Unsafe Work Practices Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: