Claim denied after falling on ice outside of school?

by Cathy
(Tulsa, Oklahoma)

I fell on the ice right outside our school building in the breezeway. My principal says now that I am not covered by workers' compensation. When she took me to the doctor right after the fall, a CT scan or MRI was never done. She says the school or workers' compensation will not be responsible for my tests that I think I should have done now. I am not feeling myself at all.

Am I covered by workers' compensation? Should the school be responsible for my tests that I think need to be done now? Thanks for any information you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Claim denied after falling on ice outside of school?":

Cathy (Tulsa, Oklahoma):

If you were “on the job,” or coming to or leaving work, you should be covered by workers' compensation. Under workers' compensation laws in the State of Oklahoma, workers who are injured on the job in these categories are covered by workers compensation.

If your school principal persists in his or her denial of benefits for your injuries, contact the Oklahoma State Department of Education. You have a right to contact them to discuss your injury and request to be covered by workers' compensation.

To reach the Oklahoma State Department of Education, go to their website. You can also call them at (405) 521-3301.

In the event you still are denied workers' comp coverage for the diagnostic tests, and whatever additional medical or chiropractic care you may require, contact a workers' compensation attorney. An attorney can represent your best interests.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Off-the-Clock Work Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: