Compensation for Care Provided by a Spouse?

by Briseyda
(Richmond, VA)

I was burned at work and have lost my hearing. I was sent home with open wounds and I had a nurse sent to my house. The nurse came to my house for only 2 days and then she stopped coming. My wife was the one cleaning me afterwards.

Can my wife get compensated for the emotional and psychological damages she had to go through when she cleaned my burns?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Compensation for Care Provided by a Spouse?":

Briseyda (Richmond, VA):

Regrettably, no. Your wife can not be compensated for the emotional and psychological damages she suffered while attending to your wounds. Fairness would dictate she should, but realistically there are very few cases in which the spouse of another injured spouse has been compensated for the emotional and psychological damages suffered while attending to the wounds and injuries of their spouse.

You should though question why the attending nurse left so early. You have nothing to lose by contacting your supervisor. If your claim was a workmans compensation one, contact the company's insurance representative. Tell her about your dismay at the early departure of your attending nurse.

Explain to her your wife had to attend to your burns. Her time and care is worth at least as much money as was being paid to the visiting nurse.

Demand that your wife be paid the exact amount (or more) the insurance company was paying the early departed attending nurse. You will only be asking for what is fair. Hopefully this will bring some compensation to your wife for the care and attention she rendered.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Burned at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: