Compensation for permanent nerve damage in my hand?

by Jillian
(Chicago, IL)

I work for the post office, in the warehouse where the mail is sorted through a machine. The machine was was jammed with mail, so we turned it off, and while I went to unjam the mail that was stuck, my supervisor turned the machine back on and it sucked my hand in.

I went immediately to the ER and got stitches. Shortly after, the swelling got so bad they removed the stitches, then had to restitch me later. I am still going to therapy, and my doctors believe I have permanent nerve damage. I was off of work for 30 days, and still they have not paid me my lost wages.

I have filed every form that is necessary, in the right times, and have been calling non-stop, but still haven't received anything. How to I get paid? Am I entitled to a disability claim? How do I find out what's going on with my federal workers' comp? Thanks for any information you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Compensation for permanent nerve damage in my hand?":

Jillian (Chicago, IL):

Contact your union steward. A union steward's job is to represent the best interests of the workers. That's why you pay union dues.

Clearly you need assistance. Your union steward can contact your supervisor, or go directly to the insurance company. In so doing, your union steward can help to expedite the wages you desperately need. In the alternative, you can contact the insurance company yourself.

Whether or not you are entitled to federal disability benefits will be entirely based on your doctor(s) determination of the existence of a disability. Without your doctor(s) support, you will likely not be entitled to disability benefits.

In the event your claim federal workers' compensation claim is denied, or if you disagree with your doctor(s) diagnosis and prognosis, contact an experienced workers' comp attorney. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. Moreover, unless the attorney succeeds in your claim, you will owe nothing.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Federal Workers' Compensation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: