Compensation for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

by Anonymous

I was in a car accident. My psychologist said that I have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) from the accident.

I'm wondering if it's possible to be compensated in a personal injury vehicle accident with minimal doctors visits? Also, is it possible to get compensated in a personal injury case for psychological damages incurred?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Compensation for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?":

Anonymous (USA):

It is possible to recover a financial settlement with a minimum amount of Doctor's visits. You can only be diagnosed with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) once. That in itself is the recoverable injury.

In other words, with a Psychiatric disorder your treatment and recovery are normally accomplished by your monthly or other visits with your Psychiatrist, Psychologist or other mental health professional.

In an automobile collision the injuries are more tangible than those psychiatric injuries. You can see, feel, and touch injuries to a person’s body. You can’t for a Psychiatric injury, but that does not mean the psychiatric injury is any less serious.

Mental illness and related psychiatric injuries are complicated matters which require complicated legal interpretation. There are some automobile collision injuries which can be managed without the assistance of an Attorney. In matters of mental health, seeking the representation of a skilled Personal Injury Attorney is really required.

Most reputable Personal Injury Attorneys will not charge a fee for an initial office consultation. You can rest assured once you have visited with an Attorney you will understand all of your legal options.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Emotional Distress Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: