Compensation for Scarred Finger?

by Alyssa
(Orlando, Florida)

While working at a restaurant in Orlando, I was emptying a glass of ice in the "dishes" area and the glass broke and a piece fell on my thumb. It was heavy enough to cut pretty deep, about a 1 inch gash between the two knuckles of my thumb.

Is the restaurant responsible for paying a settlement? Should I get extra compensation because of the scar I now have?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Compensation for Scarred Finger?":

Alyssa (Orlando, Florida);

Hopefully you reported the incident and a written incident report was created. If so you are on the right track. You mentioned scarring. To verify scarring as a basis for a claim the scar must be documented. Documentation should include a written Medical Narrative from a dermatologist or Plastic surgeon.

The Medical Narrative will include a Diagnosis and Prognosis of your injury. A Diagnosis is a medically specific description of your injuries. A Prognosis will include a medically specific description of what the future will hold for you.

This will include the manner in which the scarring will be treated. The cost of the treatment, and the amount of time it will take to heal.

If you do have verifiable scarring and decide to go ahead with the treatment, you will have to be confident the restaurant will agree to pay for the costs of the treatment, your lost wages, while recovering, and any out of pocket expenses, such as prescription medications, bandages, and the like.

If the restaurant will not agree to be responsible for all these costs you will have to decide if you want to file suit.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Workers Compensation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: