Cut by slot machine...

by Anonymous

I was at a casino on October 27, 2013 and sat down at a slot machine. When I reached to move my player card cord, a piece of metal on the machine cut my pinky finger. It's still open and in pain. I am a diabetic, have sickle cell anemia and sjogren syndrome which causes me to take longer to heal.

Is there anything I can do to get the casino to compensate me for this? How much should I receive for my pain and suffering and lack of use of my finger?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Cut by slot machine...":

Anonymous (USA):

Your first action should be to seek medical care. Under normal circumstances you would have had the right to seek compensation from the casino for your injuries. That compensation could have included medical bills, out of pocket expenses, lost wages, and "pain and suffering." In your case you may have a problem.

In your case it appears you may have forfeited your right to purse a personal injury claim against the casino. Your failure to timely seek medical care shortly after October 27th, 2013 was a mistake.

Your failure to seek medical care will likely be considered "contributory negligence." In some states contributory negligence is a complete bar to a personal injury claim. In others, the amount of an injured person's compensation will be diminished by the percentage of the person's comparative negligence.

Inasmuch as your injury occurred on October 27th, 2013, and you haven't sought medical care since that time, you may be wholly precluded for successfully pursuing any injury claim against the casino. But there are exceptions. The best thing you can do is meet with a personal injury attorney and get a professional's opinion of the facts of your case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Casino Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: