Damaged a fast food drive thru...

by Michael
(Florida, USA)

I was going through a fast food drive through lane in a company work vehicle. After paying as I was driving off when the top of my truck slightly damaged the building overhang, there was very little damage. I pulled over and the manager came out and was extremely abusive, but I kept my cool.

He threatened to call my boss and police, both of which I thought would be the right thing to do, but he never did. He also never took any insurance info or the tag of my vehicle, only taking a cell phone pic of my driver's license and telling me go to home depot to get some paint and fix it. I am not qualified to do any repair like that, should I just forget about it? What can I do here?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Damaged a fast food drive thru...":

Michael (Florida,USA):

Do the right thing! Tell your boss exactly what happened, and do so immediately. Hoping the event will just go away is wishful thinking. Your boss will contact her insurance company, and in turn the insurance company will contact the fast food business owner. That's how business works.

You should not go to home depot to purchase materials and then return to the restaurant to effect repairs. Whether you are qualified to repair the damage you did is irrelevant. You have no business literally, or figuratively returning to the restaurant for any reason other than to eat.

In the interim, if you are contacted by the restaurant manager or one of his superiors refer them to your boss. Otherwise any statements you make can be held against you; not criminally, but civilly. Your statements might be what are referred to as "admissions against interest." They can be used against your employer in insurance negotiations or at trial.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Car Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: