Damaged Safety Equipment at Workplace...

by Anonymous

At my workplace we have oven mitts that are rippled and I happened to burn my thumb due to a huge hole in one of the mitts. Also, the rubber gloves which we need for hot bacon trays and filtering the fryer are completely ruined and ripped.

What could be done to get this stuff fixed? It really is imperative to our safety while working. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Damaged Safety Equipment at Workplace...":

Anonymous (USA):

Depending upon the relationship you have with your supervisor, you might consider telling her about the problem. If you are employed by a franchise or other large corporate restaurant and you don't have a good relationship with your supervisor, you can always consider going above her head to the corporate office.

Call and ask for the Human Resources Department. Explain you are an employee and are concerned about the safety of others. Specifically explain the problem you encountered with the rubber glove.

Tell them you were burned and your call is not to seek any monetary award, but to make clear there exists a problem and are concerned if the problem is occurring in your restaurant it may be systemic. It's just a matter of time before someone in another restaurant runs into the same type of problem. Only next time their burns might much more serious.

You are doing the right thing by wanting to stand up and announce the problem (to your supervisor, her superior, or the Human Resources Department) the inherent danger the gloves present. As Spike Lee said "Do the Right Thing"... It looks as if you are going to do just that! Well-Done!

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Dangerous Work Equipment Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: