Daughter had Car Accident with My Uninsured Car...

by Anonymous
(North Carolina)

We live in North Carolina. My daughter had an accident while there was a short lapse paying my auto insurance premiums. She drove a car that is in my name but was uninsured. I was out of town when it happened.

The police officer said she was guilty, even though she said it was raining and my daughter hydroplaned. The insurance company brought the case to court and now there is a judgement against both of us. My daughter must pay over $7,000 dollars. The letter also said that our licenses will be revoked.

What should I do? Can my license be revoked even though it was my daughter driving the car without my permission? My driving record is completely clean. Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Daughter had Car Accident with My Uninsured Car...":

Anonymous (North Carolina):

The State of Carolina’s Motor Vehicle Laws, specifically, sec. 20-16 (Authority of Division to Suspend License) specify some of the reasons a person's drivers license can be suspended.

Some of those include:

• Not responding to a Division of Motor Vehicles notice

• Not appearing in court

• Obtaining a license or learner's permit under false pretense

• Betting or loaning a car for the purpose of racing

• Refusal to submit to a breath test

• Failing to pay traffic tickets, fines

• Having a civil judgment filed against you for property damage which occurred while without insurance.

• Speeding tickets.

• Allowing an unlicensed person to drive a motor vehicle.

Some of these include an accumulation of points.

Because we don’t know if you have accumulated any other points, or have any other reasons for suspension it will be difficult for us to comment on the exact reasons for your suspension.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Uninsured Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: