Defamation from Former Employer?

by Anonymous
(San Antonio, Texas)

My employer took false statements from some of my fellow employees, including statements that I used profanity, made sexual suggestions to him and other employees, as well as statements that I was using drugs. False charges of sexual abuse of my son were also filed with Child Protective Services (which were ruled out/case closed).

I have since separated from the company (settlement) but I was wondering If I can sue him for defamation / personal injury under his homeowners policy? We live in Texas. Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Defamation from Former Employer?":

Anonymous (San Antonio, Texas):

No. Homeowners insurance policies do not cover defamation. You have no physical injuries, and even if you did you wouldn't have been injured on the man's residential property.

You can file a separate lawsuit against the man for defamation of your character. You can't file a lawsuit against him for personal injuries. Defamation of character is not considered a personal injury.

In the State of Texas you can file your defamation suit in small claims court, county court, or district court. Each has their respective jurisdictional limits, or maximum amounts one can sue for. Your best bet would be to file in small claims court. You won't need an attorney and Texas has one of the highest small claims court jurisdictional limits.

You can sue in any Justice of the Peace Court. In Texas, Justice of the Peace Courts serve as small claims courts. The jurisdictional limit is $10,000 dollars.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Defamation of Character Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: