Doctor failed to diagnose osteoporosis...

by Jennifer
(Port Saint Lucie, FL)

I am 34 years old and have had serve pain in my right hip/leg for years. When I went to see my primary doctor they sent me for x-rays, a CAT scan, and an MRI. I was told nothing was wrong with me, so I just dealt with it.

Four years later, I went to another doctor because I could not deal with the pain anymore. He took one x-ray of my hip and told me my bones look like a 65 year old's and I need a bone density test. The results came in and were at a -3.5, -4.0 being the worse. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis and was never told by my previous doctor.

If my bones are that bad how come the previous doctor did not see this? I could have done something about this 4 years ago. Can I sue my old doctor or would it be the imaging place? Is there a case here?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Doctor failed to diagnose osteoporosis...":

Jennifer (Port Saint Lucie, FL):

Osteoporosis treatments include calcium, vitamin D, weight-bearing exercise, taking precautions against falling, and taking pain relieving medications. You may have suffered unnecessary pain during the period between your misdiagnosis and your recent treatment.

Speak with a medical malpractice attorney. Most won't charge for an initial office consultation. Gather all your medical records. You really can't purse a medical malpractice claim on your own. Doctors are represented by insurance companies who provide aggressive and tenacious attorneys. You can be confident they won't settle any case you might want to file on your own. To do so would be an admission that medical malpractice occurred.

Fortunately if you find an attorney who accepts your case you won't have to pay any legal fees until, and unless your attorney settles your case or wins it at trial. Legal fees will likely be between 33.3 - 40 percent of your settlement or court award.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Wrong Diagnosis Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: