Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Personal Injury?

by Margaret
(New York)

Last October 21, 2010 I fell down a flight of stairs in the house I was saying in. I broke my leg and went to the hospital. I needed surgery and had a plate put in. Also while I was in the hospital I was given an overdose of a pain killer which sent me into cardiac arrest.

I'm wondering if the homeowner's insurance policy (of the owner of the home I was staying in) will cover my injury and the costs of surgery?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Personal Injury?":

Margaret (New York):

There is a good chance the homeowners insurance policy will cover your injuries and the resultant medical bills. You'll need to find out the name and telephone number of the homeowners insurance company. Contact them and file a claim. The insurance company will assign a claims adjuster to the claim.

You should be contacted within a week or two of your having filed the claim. It's the adjuster's job to investigate your claim. That may include giving your recorded telephonic statement.

Right now get all of your medical bills, out of pocket costs (prescription and over the counter medications). Also include an amount for any of the wages you may have lost while injured. Once you have all that information you will be in a position to start negotiating a settlement.

Remember, in addition to being reimbursed for your medical bills, you should request an additional amount of compensation for your pain and suffering.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Homeowners Coverage Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: