Does jail have to supply needed medications?

by Julie
(Jackson, Ohio)

My husband is being held in a county jail by his parole officer for a parole violation. He has been in there now for 8 days with no word of when he goes before a judge. My husband takes several medications from when he had a traumatic work accident, including severe head trauma. He has been under a therapist's help for Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) for 2 yrs now due to the trauma.

The jail won't let him have a few of his medications in the jail, and I got a call today and they told me he needed to get 2 of them refilled. I told them I couldn't send them through as long as he was in jail, and they told me I had to pay for them. I said I didn't have the money, as we are both disabled and on a limited income.

Isn't the jail responsible for supplying his medication as long as he is locked up? What else can I do about this? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Does jail have to supply needed medications?":

Julie (Jackson, Ohio):

The jail administration has a legal duty to do everything within reason to protect your husband from undue harm. This includes making sure his required medications are filled and presented to him in a timely manner.

If you believe the failure of the jail administration to provide medications to your husband is resulting in undue harm, then contact the senior jail administrator. Explain your position. If you meet resistance, then contact your husband’s parole officer and explain the situation to the parole officer.

If you meet resistance there, then contact your husband’s attorney. The attorney has access to the jail administration, and if necessary, to the judge who sentenced him.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Jail Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: