Does Uninsured Accident Law Allow Me To File a Claim?


I have a question about uninsured accident law. I was involved in a car accident and rear ended a parked car. I was transported to the hospital where I was treated for injuries. I later received a ticket for reckless driving when leaving the hospital, after overnight monitoring.

My passenger who also was in the car during the accident informed me that the accident was caused by him. He further began to tell me that in an attempt to clean the windshield he jolted the steering wheel to the right (toward him). He does not have car insurance.

I went to court for the ticket and was placed on driving probation for six months. If I do not receive any moving violations the ticket will be dismissed.

After dismissal of the ticket can I file a claim under my uninsured motorist coverage? Being that he has no insurance is this covered under my uninsured motorist coverage? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Does Uninsured Accident Law Allow Me To File a Claim?":

Unless your friend is willing to tell the adjuster (who would be assigned in your filed a claim) that the accident was his fault, this will probably not qualify under your UIM policy because from all appearances, the accident is your fault.

While citations are not the only evidence of fault, they are certainly a good indicator and you clearly received a citation for reckless driving. The other issue that the insurance company will be concerned about is potential fraud. Whenever the facts of an accident seem fairly unbelievable, they will refer it out to a fraud investigation unit.

I am, in NO WAY, suggesting that this is the case but merely advising you that you need to thoroughly think this claim through before filing it.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Uninsured Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: