Does work insurance cover injuries outside of work?

by Billy
(El Paso, TX)

I was jogging at a park when I fainted and needed medical attention. My question is, will/should my work insurance cover the costs of my medical bills?

Additional information: my job title is computer technician. It's indoor work. In the past 5 years "other duties assigned" include outside physical duties which I have expressed concern (in writing) that put my safety and health at risk.

In order to minimize my safety and health risk I jog to maintain a better physical state, since the place of work does not provide it. Does my employer have any liability for this? Will work insurance cover my medical treatment? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Does work insurance cover injuries outside of work?":

Billy (El Paso, TX):

In a word, "No." Your employer is not in any manner responsible for your injuries, costs of medical treatment, or any other damages related to your having fainted while jogging. Your intimation that jogging was, and continues to be, a necessary requirement for you to remain safe and free from injury at work has no merit.

Your employer's workers' compensation insurance will very likely deny any claim you might make. This doesn't mean you shouldn't make an effort to file a claim. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't succeed.

Instead, seek coverage for your injuries under your employer's medical health plan. If your employer doesn't offer a health plan, then you will have to use your own.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Off-the-Clock Work Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: