Employee sending harmful emails...

by Teresa
(Phoenix, AZ)

A fellow employee has been proven to be acting in an unprofessional manner towards me in an internal HR investigation.

She is now writing emails to outside parties claiming that I have a mental illness, that I would cause her personal property damage (key her car), and that our mutual boss has romantic feelings for me, which is why he keeps siding with me.

These outside persons work in my industry, and I have to interact with them outside of my job. Do I have a defamation per se case? What can I do about this person harming my career? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Employee sending harmful emails...":

Teresa (Phoenix AZ):

You present some interesting facts. To have the basis of a legitimate and potentially successful defamation claim, you will have to prove the defamatory statements were actually communicated to one or more third parties.

Doing so will require proof in the form of a copy of the libelous email, and any other documents which will prove defamatory statements against you were made. The next step will be to prove those defamatory staments caused you an injury or loss. Proving that will require you to show how such statements affected your ability to earn a living.

In other words, you will have to prove a form injury which will result in present or future loss of income, whether through a decrease in your present pay, termination of employment, or inability to successfully obtain future employment.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Defamation of Character Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: