Employees where I previously worked accessed my medical records...

by Elizabeth
(Denver, CO)

I recently left a major hospital where I was employed for over two years. A few employees in my area accessed my medical records for their own personal curiosity, and my medical condition was the subject of discussion in my old office. Is this a HIPAA violation?

Only one of these people is an actual medical provider and I was never treated by that person for any reason. What can I do about this?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Employees where I previously worked accessed my medical records...":

Elizabeth (Denver, CO):

For a HIPAA violation to have occurred, a "covered entity" heath care provider must have electronically disseminated personal medical information about a patient, and must have done so without the express written consent of the patient.

Under the facts you present, you did not authorize anyone to disseminate your private medical information. If the hospital knew, or should have known the information was likely to be accessed, and did nothing about it, the hospital itself may have committed a violation of HIPAA

To access your confidential medical information, someone must have electronically opened the document, or made it available electronically for those persons, including the actual medical provider, to see. If that's the case, then you may be the victim of a HIPAA violation.

To report a HIPAA violation, contact the U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to HIPAA Violation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: