Employer Not Paying Medical Bills...

by Amy
(Shrewsbury, MA)

I cut my finger at work and went to the emergency room. They registered my injury as a workers compensation claim. I have been getting calls to pay the hospital bill because my employer has not yet payed it. This happened over a year ago and now it went to a collection agency.

The hospital has called my employer and all the info the owner has given is not accurate. How do I get this settled? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Employer Not Paying Medical Bills...":

Amy (Shrewsbury, MA):

Contact the workers compensation representative and find out why your medical bills haven't been paid. Demand they be paid. Tell her about the collection agencies.

Although the law says employees who are covered by workers compensation aren't entitled to sue their employers, they can sue their workers compensation insurance carrier. Many people don't know that if their workers compensation insurance company has failed to act appropriately under the circumstances, they can be found liable for "bad faith" dealings with their insured.

If you have a valid medical claim which a has been approved as a legitimate workers compensation claim, your employer and this workers compensation insurance carrier must pay the medical bills related to the doctors they sent you to. Tell the adjuster if she fails to pay your medical bills, or at a minimum not straightening out the financial mess they have created for you, you will consider retaining an attorney and suing the insurance company for bad faith.

If you choose to consider that avenue contact several attorneys before you do. Start with personal injury attorneys but you can also contact any attorney who practices civil law.

Bad faith insurance lawsuits can be very financially rewarding to the claimant (you) and the attorney. As a result you might give serious consideration to that path to justice.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Employer Liability Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: