Ex-boyfriend Let His PitBulls Attack Me...

by Anonymous

During a fight with my ex-boyfriend he let his pitbulls into the room to attack/intimidate me. I have been attacked by them once before and he knew what the outcome would be if he let them in. I was attacked and suffered injuries. He did eventually take them off of me but I had been injured already.

I'd like to know what I can do about this. Can he be charged with assault or another crime since he knowingly let the dogs into the room and they attacked me? Should I call the police and press charges against him? Is he responsible for the medical bills resulting from the attack? Any information you can give would be very helpful. Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Ex-boyfriend Let His PitBulls Attack Me...":

Anonymous (USA):

If your boyfriend purposely allowed the dogs to come into the room with the intention to attack or intimidate you, he committed a crime. Depending upon which state you live in, it's probably a felony. To be classified as criminal assault the dogs didn't actually have to touch you. If the dogs put you in fear of an imminent bodily injury or death that is enough to be considered criminal assault.

Although it's probably not too late to file a criminal action against your boyfriend, the delay in doing so may affect your credibility. If there were witnesses to the attack, you would be well-advised to bring them with you when you file the criminal complaint.

If your boyfriend purposely allowed the dogs to go into the room to attack or intimidate you, your boyfriend will also be liable for your medical bills. You wouldn't necessarily have to hire an attorney to sue your boyfriend to force him to pay those bills.

Instead, if you file a criminal complaint and your boyfriend is charged with the assault, part of his probationary requirements can be to reimburse you for your medical bills. If he fails to do so, his probation can be revoked and he'll be sent to jail. Start by filing a criminal complaint at your local police station.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Assault & Battery Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: