Ex-Tenant Injured...

by Elle
(Belleville, NJ)

My ex-tenant fall down on the street and suffered a minor injury. She was wearing glasses and they cut the side of her eye, but didn't even require stitches. She sent me an email requesting proof of residence - the hospital is requesting it since she can't afford to pay the hospital bill.

I would like to help her out, nonetheless I am not sure if I should. The problem is that she no longer lives in my home. Am I under any obligation to give the proof of residence? Is there anything I can do to help her out? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Ex-Tenant Injured...":

Elle (Belleville, NJ):

You do not have to give your proof of residence to anyone other than a governmental authority. Even then, it would be under special circumstances. Tell her you will not give her or the hospital your proof of residence. That is really no one's business.

On the other hand, if you are trying to say the hospital is requesting you provide them with proof of your ex-tenant's residence, that's a different story altogether.

Again you are under no obligation to disclose to anyone your ex-tenant's proof of residence. It remains unclear why the hospital wants you to confirm or deny the ex-tenant's residence.

If the hospital is making some sort of a determination of responsibility for payment of medical bills and wants to know if your ex-tenant was a legal resident at the time of her injury, then it will be up to you whether you want to provide that information. If she was not a legal resident and you knowingly rented space to her you may open yourself up to liability from a governmental agency.

It is a difficult question to answer. It will really be up to you whether you want to disclose the information.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Liability / Fault Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: