Eye injury due to lack of safety gear while working at a car wash...

by Kirsten

I work at a car wash. I started there last week and my boss asked me to clean the wall and bays with acid. I got a little in my eye and now I can't see out of my left eye. My vision is all blurry.

My boss didn't supply me with any goggles or gloves, or any other safety gear to work with acid and other chemicals. She also never give me any training on how to work with the chemicals. I told the boss what happened and all she did was laugh.

Can I get compensation from the car wash because my boss didn't supply me with any safety wear? My vision is still blurry and I'm scarred I'll never see right again. Is there anything I can do? Are they liable for not giving me proper safety gear? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Eye injury due to lack of safety gear while working at a car wash...":

Kirsten (USA):

If you have any claim it will be through your employer's workers compensation insurance company. Before you consider any legal action you must first verify if you've suffered anything more than temporary blurriness. To do so you will need a thorough eye examination by your own family physician, or an ophthalmologist.

Your employer hasn't committed any illegality by not making you wear protective goggles. He might though, be in violation of OSHA requirements (Occupational Safety and Health Administration). Even if he were in violation you would still need medical proof of your injuries.

Without medical proof of injuries your claim has no financially compensable merit. Let's hope your eyes aren't permanently injured. If they are, you should immediately seek the advice and counsel of an experienced personal injury attorney dealing in workers compensation. You would never want to handle such a claim yourself.

Most don't charge for initial office consultations. Verify your injuries and then seek legal counsel. That's your best move.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Unsafe Work Practices Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: