Fall at School With No Liability Insurance...

by Anonymous

While attending a volleyball game almost 2 weeks ago, my mom slipped on water on the floor and injured her knee really bad. The state of Texas doesn't require school districts to carry liability insurance so the school is doing nothing to help.

My mom's medicare didn't start until today, Sept 1st, and they are saying they don't cover an accident that happened on someone else's property. She's been in a brace since leaving the ER and needs an MRI to find out the damage, but she can't afford an MRI.

I don't understand this at all. What should she do? Is there any way to get compensation for her injuries or insurance to pay for her treatment? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Fall at School With No Liability Insurance...":

Anonymous (Texas):

Contrary to your belief, Texas School Districts are highly insured, especially for the personal injuries people may suffer while on school property.

Additionally, Medicare does not discriminate in its coverage for those injured, whether injured on school property or not. Medicare is available to all who are qualified to receive it.

Your mother may be able to recover compensation for her injuries. Because a school district is considered a municipality, there are certain rules to be followed.

Following those rules will help your mother recover money for her medical bills, called “hard costs,” out of pocket expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

In the State of Texas the recovery process begins by filing what is called a “Notice of Claim”.

Because cases against municipalities require following specific rules and time limits it's usually best to seek the advice of a skilled Personal Injury Attorney.

Consulting with one will help you both understand whether your mother’s claim is worth pursuing, and if so, what the possibility of recovery might be.

Most Personal Injury Attorneys do not charge any legal fee for an initial office consultation. Visiting with one at your mother’s earliest convenience will help protect her legal rights.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Public Property Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: