False statement about criminal charges filed against me?

by Mark
(Beverly Hills, CA)

I was Director of Operations for a Limousine company in Beverly Hills. I was terminated for filing a complaint with the State of California Public Utilities Commission. The owner sent an email to a customer stating the LAPD had filed Extortion charges against me. This is of course untrue.

Do I have a Defamation case of either Defamation per se or Libel? If so, what can I do about it? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "False statement about criminal charges filed against me?":

Mark (Beverly Hills, CA):

It appears you have the foundation of a very strong defamation by slander claim against the company owner. Moreover, because the company owner falsely accused you of having committed a crime, and did so to a third party, the defamation may be "per se."

By telling the third party he filed a claim with LAPD of Extortion, he effectively and constructively said you committed what is called a "crime of moral turpitude." That is a very serious accusation.

In your case, the facts seem to be serious enough, and the damage to your reputation extensive enough, to require the assistance of a personal injury attorney with experience in defamation cases. Do some research and find several attorneys.

Because most attorneys will not charge for an initial office consultation, you can get several opinions about the legitimacy of your claim, and the probability of success.

If the company owner told one person you are a criminal, it's likely he may have said the same to other persons. Your attorney will be able to initiate an investigation to build such evidence against the company owner.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Defamation of Character Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: